You can target your biggest trouble zone. Fifteen minutes is just enough time to effectively work your upper body, burning approximitly 96 calories.
Complete all of the Shoulders/Arms exercises using a pair of 5 to 10 pound dumbbells, working this muscle group twice a week. Perform this as a circuit, doing 4 sets of 12-15 reps each.
- Lateral Raise: Stand with feet hip width aoart, holding dumbbells at sides, with palms facing in. Lift arms out to shoulder height, keeping elbows soft, palms facing forward. HOld for one count, and then lower. For the last set of the circuit, do 15 reps using only right arm, the switch sides and repeat.
- Biceps Curl Into Shoulder Press:
- Hold dumbbells in front of thighs with palms facing forward. Bend elbows and curl weights towards shoulders
- Once weights are at shoulder height, tuen palms forward, bring elbows up to shoulder height, and lift weights together overhead. Lower to start and repeat.
- For final circuit do 15 reps using only right arm, then switch sides and repeat.
- Triceps Kickback: Stand with feet hip width apart, knees slightly bent, holding dumbbells with palms facing sides. Bend from waist until upper body is almost parallel to floor, keeping back straight. Bend elbows to ribs, then slowly straighten arms behind you, keeping upper arms still. Bring weights toward chest and repeat. For final circuit, do 15 reps using only right arm, then switch sides and repeat.
Check out part two for Butt and Leg 15 minute workout!
Part One of a four part series on how to work those trouble zones!
Back of Arms
Lets face it having your arms wave back can be heart breaking. Here are two workouts aimed at tightening that skin in the back of your arms and a few other places too!
Spider Man Press Up (Targets chest, triceps, abs, obliques, butt and hips)
- Start on the ground in full push up position, balancing on hands and feet with your arms extended, your body will form a straight line from head to heels. (Make it easier by doing this move on your knees)
- Bring a bent right knee out to side at hip level as you bend your elbows 90 degrees, keeping your arms tucked close into your ribs, so that you touch your right knee to your elbow.
- Press up and return to start
- Do 8 reps, switch sides and repeat. Do 2 sets.
Sunburst Slimmer (Targets shoulders, chest, back, triceps, abs and butt)
- Start on ground on all fours, then extend your right leg behnd you parallel to the ground, toes pointed
- Bending your elbows and keeping them close to your ribs, glide your torso forward to lower chin and chest toward the ground while lifting right leg. Return to start.
- Do 5 reps, switch legs and repeat. Do 2 sets.
Why it hits the spot? By keeping your elbows closer to your ribs than in typical push up position you increase the workout to your triceps.
Fitness Magazine July/August 2011