Here’s the latest word on what you must do to keep your heart in fighting form. If you’re a woman of a certain age, you need to start thinking about heart disease right now. The American Heart Association suggests following the seven heart healthy guidelines below.
- Cholesterol: should be less than 200, one way to help you keep this in check is more fiber. Pick whole fruits over juice
- Blood Pressure: should be 120/80, drive down blood pressure by lowering your daily sodium intake
- Sugar Level: should be less than 100, reduce your by sharing the occasional dessert and cutting back on sweets
- Smoking: don’t start or quit! If you’ve tried to quit before and failed, go to heart.org for resources
- Body Mass Index(BMI): should be less than 25, Unsure of what your BMI is? Use this iPhone app (BMI calculator, free, APPS.USA.GOV)
- Exercise: should get at least 2/5 hours a week of activity, adopt a dog, the worlds cheapest personal trainer, to guarantee you walk daily.
- Healthy Diet: Lots of fruit, veggies and whole grains. Eat at least one fruit or veggie at meals or with snacks.
January/February 2012 Weight Watchers Magazine