- Snack on Almonds: When salty cravings strike, bypass the pretzels or popcorn and grab some almonds! California researchers found that those who noshed on nuts shrank their waistlines nearly 50% more than dieters that didn’t eat them, despite eating the same amount of calories.
- Fill up on fiber: when you slow digestion, you slow the delivery of glucose to the bloodstream, meaning less insulin is released and with lower insulin release comes lower visceral (belly) fat storage. Aim for at least 25 grams a day!
- Stay satisfied with protein. Gram for gram protein has the same number of calories as carbs (and half that of fat), but takes longer to digest, so you feel fuller longer.
- Skip the sweetener: In a 5 week study by Purdue University researchers, rats given unlimited access to artificially sweetened yogurt consumed more calories, gained more weight and packed on more fat than those who ate sugar sweetened yogurt. Researchers believe that artificial sweeteners may hinder your body’s ability to regulate calories based on taste so you end up overeating.
- Dump one high cal item from your diet: Exercise works best when you don’t off-set it with empty calories. You can easily reduce your daily calorie intake by 250 calories by making this change.
Prevention Magazine October 2008