This is part two of a five part series to give you some workouts to partner up to get the most out of what you’re doing.
If you like to run…
Focus on doing explosive jumps or leaps aka plyometrics to strengthen your core, hips, glutes and thighs. The payoff is speed, agility and endurance, plus some pretty sexy muscles.
All you need are a set of stairs or step bench.
- Speed Steps: targets core, glutes and legs
- Stand 6 – 12 inches in front of stairs with ball of right foot on first step, arms at sides and knees slightly bent
- Quickly switch feet, powering from legs, not hips, keeping torso tall, hips square and abs engaged
- Alternate 20-40 fast steps without stopping
- Stand with feet shoulder width apart, toes turned out to corners
- Squat down, bending knees 90 degrees
- Look up slightly, bringing hands to chest level as you sink body weight into heels
- Explode upward as high as you can, powering through hips and using arms for momentum
- Land in a squat and repeat, do 5-10 reps
- Stand with feet hip width apart, knees bent into half squat with palms facing forward at chest height
- Without straightening legs, shift weight onto left leg, bending right foot behind you
- Spring to the right side as far as you can, landing on bent right leg
- Hold for 3 counts, finding your balance, then jump back to the left side
- Do 10-20 reps, alternating sides
Fitness Magazine July 2007